Wednesday, March 6, 2013

In an ok hotel in a not very ok section of town

Air Canada almost redeemed itself today.  Check in guy was excellent and extremely helpful (he even reprinted my itinerary since I forgot mine).  The stewardesses were pleasant and kept the liquids flowing.  Knowing that on the domestic leg of the trip (Victoria to Toronto) nothing is free, I brought my own snacks but I forgot headphones.  Fortunately the movies were either bad and I didn't want to see them or good but I had already seen them, so I figured I would just wait for the next flight. 

By the way, the Victoria Airport is undergoing some major renos.  There is a second floor now.  We must be almost a real city now that we have more than two gates in our airport.  The changes are quite nice.  There are even big observations windows on the 2nd floor.  Coffee shops are still on the wrong side of the security check in though. 

We landed in Toronto and I went straight to my gate  for my Cancun flight as I only had an hour or so in between flights.  I  was even the first one on after the Business, parents and 'assisted'.  I had even checked my bag because, now that I am old and have a stupidly heavy bag, I just can't be bothered to carry stuff when others will do it for me.  Smooth sailing - so far so good.  Then a bit of a rough patch for my new pro-AC feelings.  My seat mate told me that several passengers were left at the gate as they had overbooked by 5 or more (the number grew with various tellings to other passengers - my seat mate was chatty and a bit of an oversharer).  Plus, no free food or headphones even though it was an international flight.  Maybe Mexico isn't international enough.  But all is well, I just paid for some earbuds and ate the left over pizza I had shoved in my bag before I left home.  So, I still rate my AC experience on the positive side.   That check in guy earned them a lot of points.

One of the few things I did research before leaving home was how to get from the Cancun airport to downtown since last time it was not ideal.  Well, all of my research was for nothing because apparently I can't figure out a 24 hr clock.  My itinerary said I was landing in Cancun at 19:50.  Well, that is not 9:50 pm, that is 7:50.  (I should not be allowed to take care of myself).  Plus we arrived early.  The custom line ups were non-existent so I waltzed through, found my bag and was out the door in 20 minutes, well before the 9pm end time for the shuttle.  Plus, I got some guys phone number before I had even gotten outside (I won't be calling him but it is nice to know that at least in Mexico, I still got it (well, a shadow of it).

I paid for my Collectivo (shared van to town), much confusion ensued about which van I would be in.  Pretty typical.  But in the end, I got a cheapish ride and had a bit of a tour of the city at night.  There was  major hurricane in 2005 right after I was here last.  They rebuilt bigger and better (if bigger and gaudier is considered better) and there are huge resorts after huger resorts. Eventually all of the proper tourists were dropped off, the driver took me to my hotel.  After about the third turn into yet another back alley, I asked if my hotel was going to be awful.  He said not but the zone (area) is not nice.  But it was much more dangerous last year he told me reassuringly.  Thanks.  Since I wasn't planning to go out anyway, it is fine.  The room is fine, better than I am used to but also more expensive than I am used to ($35/night).  I am at Hacienda De la Castilla on Calle 17 Norte for tonight. 

I have been reading my tour guide.  I think I may just go straight to Tulum tomorrow.  There is too  much to do and see in the Mayan Riviera and I can't make decisions tonight, I am too tired so I am going with the easiest choice - Tulum.  It is close to Cozumel, the Sian Ka'an Biosphere and a bunch of ruins.  It should fill a few days. 

Long day. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment