Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I guess I am going to Mexico... today.

Sorry but this is the least organized blog I have ever thrown together.  In fact, it is 12:09 am of the day I leave and I am writing my first post.  But some people like to keep track of my wanderings and/or signs of life so here we go. Plus, how else am I going to force people to look at my pictures if I can't send them a link to a website. 

The blame of this entire trip falls on Melissa who called me late one night a few weeks ago and told me that Air Canada was having a seat sale.  I checked the price to Cancun, found it mostly acceptable and told Melissa I was in.  Unfortunately, after a sober second thought (or a first mention to Mark - either would have done it) Melissa came to her senses and bailed.  But by then I had it in my head to go.  Val couldn't come, my Mom couldn't come.  So I am on my own.  I may have vowed to not travel alone again after the Cuba fiasco but apparently, I have short memory.  I have decided to blame my bad mood in Cuba on my lack of thyroid medication (I just thought of that but I like it and so, I am going to use it to convince myself that the Cuba trip was an anomaly and this trip will be awesome and hormone balanced).  I seem to have digressed already if my long rambly bracket is any indication. 

So, with on a 5 or so weeks to prepare, I did what any sane person would do and researched and planned my route to the minutest detail with hotels and tours booked for each day.  Haha, clearly you don't know me.  What I actually did was take an Intro to Digital Cameras course, a traveller's Spanish course which was fun but not too instructive and bought a guide book for the Yucatan of which, I have read approximately 10 pages.  But I have that whole flight to figure out what I am going to do when I get there. 

The last time I flew into the Cancun airport, I arrived at 3am or so.  90 minutes to get through customs and then I exited the airport to discover that there is no city bus that goes into town from the Cancun airport.  And the taxis and hotel minivans cost $50 American!  Outrageous.  But this time, I am landing at 9:30pm.  So, I checked online because I had heard that there were cheaper shuttles but alas, they end at 9pm.  Looks like I am in for an expensive ride into town.  Unless I can charm my way into a cheap ride like I did last time.  Of course, I was somewhat cuter in those days.  I did book a hotel room for my first night in Cancun. I don't remember the name or location but I have that long taxi ride to figure it out.

Last night I packed all my stuff in my smallish backpack but it was full up like an egg.  I remember when I went to Europe with just a school book bag for two weeks.  Now I need a Sherpa to carry my crap around.  What happened to me?  Electronics, that's what happened.  Computer, camera, binoculars.  Getting old puts the fear of death or diarrhea in me so I take a first aid kit which I never use.  Books, stupid books - a novel, a guide book, two bird books (the Peterson Mexican guide can only be used in conjunction with one of the North American books - if I was serious, I would take Mexico, Western AND Eastern North America but I just can't do it.  Western guide out).  Melissa tells me that they have these new electronic books that I can carry all of those on one lightweight little tablet.  (My birthday is only 11 months and 7 days away. )  Pretty soon, my travel will just consist of carrying charging cords to the airport where I will be plugged in for two to four weeks.  Oh, and I have a few pieces of clothing.  Anyway, I moved my stuff into my bigger smallish backpack that I used for Ecuador and shunted some of the clothes (any more than two shirts is just foolish anyway) and now I am good to go with some room for sundries found along my route. 

Ok, 12:39. Must go to bed to get up in 4 hours. 

P.S.  So far, Air Canada has offered a cheap flight, accepted my 10% discount (from my Ecuador whinging) and confirmed my ticket.  Please take a few moments to call you bookie for odds on when and how things will go wrong.  The best bet is on a flight cancellation out of Toronto as the East is getting hit with a storm tomorrow.  But that wouldn't technically be Air Canada's fault so I am going to go with lost luggage.  Any takers for broken entertainment system, that's been a winner in the past.  No payout for surly attendants, that's just a given.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment